Thursday, July 26, 2012

I did it this time

Well it is official the ankle is broken. The ligament is pulled off of the ankle bone and the Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon said there are 2 ways to look at this 1) it is the very very worst sprain ever or 2) the easiest break ever. Either way it is a 7 week recover time 3 in a cast and hopefully the other 4 in a boot. 


So I am taking the week off to figure out how to walk in this darn thing. So far the worst part is trying to sleep. The cast is so heavy I can't get comfortable and it is on my left leg which is the same side I had the hip surgery on so it is affecting my hip as well. 


I went to the gym yesterday and tried to figure out what exercises I could do since swimming is not an option for a while. Turns out there are very few left. I was hoping that I could do the rower but even that is not going to work if the cast were an inch shorter then maybe... but in it's current configuration not happening. I ended up lifting weights and using the cable fly machine to do some upper body /oblique exercises. I ran into the gym manager as I was going in and he suggested I check with the Chiropractor on site to see if he had an Upper body bike I could use. The UBE is a great cardio machine that uses only the arms but gets the heart pumping. Unfortunately they do not have one at the gym or in the Chiropractor's office. 


I spent the day working on a project at the desk and running some errands and by the time I got to bed my leg was very swollen and throbbing. Today I must take it a bit easier and keep the leg propped up more.



No comments:

Post a Comment