Monday, March 3, 2014

Revision day

December 31, 2013

I never expected to be having another surgery this soon! But here I am back at a hospital having another hip surgery. This makes 3 hip surgeries in the last 2 years and one shoulder surgery.

Today's surgery is a revision of my LTHR (left total hip replacement).

I checked in and waited with my son Dan and my friend Judy to be taken to the pre-op area. The pre op check in was essentially the same as when I had my shoulder done other than they were going to work on my hip. While we were getting all that stuff taken care of Doc popped in and said he had been thinking about me and the best way to do the revision and he suggested that rather than doing the surgery through a posterior incision which is what he had planned he wanted to attempt to do it via an anterior incision with the caveat that if he could not access everything he would have to flip me over and make a posterior incision as well. I agreed because I would much prefer the restrictions of the anterior incision to the restrictions of a posterior one.

So prepped and ready I was wheeled into the OR for the Anterior incision revision of my THR. Strangely I do not remember being placed onto the table for this or the first THR. . . interesting I just realized that... oh well.

I woke up in my room nauseated and throwing up... everyone assumes it was the anesthesia but I can do anesthesia with no problem when they are willing to listen to me and NOT give me antibiotics or narcotics that make me puke!

I really did not think the pain was too bad or moving around was too difficult this time since I knew what to expect and how to maneuver to get in and out of bed. The aides kept trying to lift my leg to help and I kept telling them "I've got it" ! 

Not much to tell about being in the hospital I have to say it is not that exciting. I slept, I ate, I made trips to the bathroom.The most entertaining thing that happened was on New Years day my surgeon made rounds and brought his boys who are 2 and 4 with him to the hospital. Such cutie pies they are apparently the hospital frowns on them accompanying him but he feels it perks up his patients. It was actually fun to see them.

I stayed in the hospital until the 3rd and was sent home in the midst of a snow storm. I was really worried about getting out of the car and walking in the snow up the walkway to the house on crutches.  I made it in with no problem and settled in to hibernate for a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment