Monday, April 8, 2013

Obla dee oble da life goes on

So a lot has happened since I last scribbled here... I had seen the doc on 3/1/13 and he wanted me off of work for an extra 4 weeks to allow my hip flexors to calm down. Sadly neither that nor the prednisone that my family doc put me on to reduce swelling had much of an affect and by 3/23 I knew that there was no way I would make it back to work on 4/1/13...D day as it were. . . the day my STD (short term disability) ran out.

I contacted my boss on Monday 3/25 to let him know the status of my hip and that it was not going to be ready to return on 4/1/13 and he began the proceeding to "involuntarily terminate" me from my job. I hate that term because in my mind being terminated is the equivalent of being fired but in this case I just ran out of STD disability time and I am now eligible to apply for Long Term disability. Arrangements were made for the boss to come out the following Monday and complete the paperwork, collect my inventory and the va.

The day arrived and the boss was stuck in NY at LaGuardia for a long time and I ended up counting the inventory myself and boxing it up. My co-worker Rob came to give me a hand with the packing and even with his help my hip was a mess. We had the van packed and ready by the time the boss arrived and after a quick chat he took possession of all the stuff  and we all went out to dinner for one last time together.
Junk going to the trash

A full van!



Bob (the boss) and Joe (Co-worker)

Rob (the poor guy covering all my accounts)

I am sad and relieved at the same time to see this era end. On one hand it is going to be so much better for my health to not be doing the driving and the lifting and hauling that I have done for the last 13 years. At the same time I am sad because I have so many customers and co-workers who are friends that will no longer be part of my life and that is difficult. I was able to send out an email to the customer's whose addy's I had and to co-workers to let them all know what was happening. I chose NOT to say anything disparaging about the company in either email and everyone thinks I quit on my own. I have enlightened a few but I figure it will make no difference in the end if they know or don't know the truth.

I am trusting and believing that it will all turn out ok and I will find a position that is more suited to my current physical capabilities and will be able to support me with out having to take a large reduction in salary. I have applied for unemployment and am filling out the application for LTD. At present I have NO income and am trying not to freak out over not being able to pay my bills. I contacted everyone to whom I owe money and informed them that I lost my job and will not be making payments until I figure out what money I will be getting. I am not going to get any severance from the company even though I did not quit my job which I think is a crock. I have an appointment tomorrow with an Attorney to discuss what I need to do at this point and find out if I should be receiving something !

I saw my Orthopedic surgeon today and sadly there is not much he can do at this point to help me since I have also lost my insurance. I am still having a lot of pain and he has suggested several things but all of them take a bunch of money to do and with out insurance it is cost prohibitive. So in the meantime I will gradually begin to exercise more and will build up SLOWLY this time rather than trying hard to push myself to get back to work. The office did give me the paperwork to fill out to get HCAP a health care assistance program. Just one more set of papers to fill out.

Such a frustrating day. . . so following this appointment  which mom came along to we stopped at La Chateline and had lunch and then stopped at Youngs Dairy for icecream on the way home. Then I started looking the jobs that are available in the area and I am so frustrated by what is out there .... while doing this I got a call from the guy, who is handling all my customers about an account in Cincinnati and he need some info about the account. I had told him it was ok to call and ask questions but it makes me sad to chat about the customers that I will never see again.

On a positive note I was with my son on 3/23 looking at cars and ended up getting a car because I came to the conclusion I was not going back and I have not owned a car in 13 years. So I came home that day with a 2012 Dodge Avenger I absolutely love it and am very happy I decided to be proactive and get it before I was jobless and unable to get transpo. Now to figure out how to pay for everything.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment